|Mickey Mouse episode|
|Original theatrical release date||December 24, 1937|
|Re-dubbed air date||October 28, 2009|
|Written by||Dick Friel|
|Directed by||Burt Gillett|
Lonesome Ghosts is a 1937 Disney animated cartoon featuring the Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck and Goofy trio as members of the agency "Ajax Ghost Exterminators" (often described later as precursors of the Ghostbusters).
Mickey and his best friends are hired by telephone to evict a number of ghosts from a haunted house. Unknown to them, they were hired by the ghosts themselves, four lonesome ghosts who are bored because nobody has visited the house they are haunting for a long time. They wish to play tricks on the mortals. And they do so through a series of inventive gags, but by the end the trio has actually managed to scare the very same ghosts out of the house when flour accidentally spilled over them.
Goofy offers what is considered the short's most memorable quote while warily looking around him: "I'm brave but I'm careful." Other quotes include Donald's observation: "So you can't take it, you big babies!", or another Goofy quip: "I ain't scared of no ghosts!", a line repeated in Ray Parker, Jr.'s hit "Ghostbusters", the theme song of the 1984 film of the same name. Some fans considered this cartoon to be the major inspiration of the Ghostbusters franchise.
Lonesome Ghosts is available on the 1980s Walt Disney Home Video release of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, as one of the segments of Mickey's House of Villains, and in the DVD release of The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad.
- The screaming sound heard in the beginning of this short was later used on Zorro in its fourth 1957 episode "The Ghost of the Mission". It appropriately aired on Halloween.
- This short was one of the many featured in Donald Duck's 50th Birthday.
- Lonesome Ghosts was the basis for, and title of the fourth level of the video game, Mickey Mania: The Timeless Adventures of Mickey Mouse, and its PlayStation version, Mickey's Wild Adventure.
- Lonesome Ghosts at the Encyclopedia of Disney Animated Shorts
- Lonesome Ghosts at the Internet Movie Database
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|